piano service in music colleges <"Re: piano service in music colleges"@amenti.rutgers.edu> (Jan 1, 7:48pm)

Newton Hunt nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu
Wed, 01 Jan 1997 23:58:48 -0500

Rutgers has 125 pianos in full time use, including nine in five recital venues
and thirty more on their sides or with a sign saying "Not being serviced".

I am fulltime 37.5 hours per week with full benefits.

I cannot do a proper job with that many pianos, neither can you.  You will need
another and possible a third technician to help in the last week before classes
begin.

I have a shop space with my own equipment and a salary of $42K, not enough for
the stress and agrivation of the job.

Juliard, Manhattan and Oberlin as well as UT Austin have enough full and part
time people to do the job well and right.  There should be one technician for
60 pianos or more if the humidity changes radically, the pianos are old, their
quality was low to begin with and the standards of service is to be high.

I know this may not answer all your questions, but keep nagging and I will get
it all out there for you.  In the meantime call the home office and get copies
of the effective insistitutional piano maintenance paper.  This will help more
to establish your case than anything I say will.

	Newton
	nhunt@rci.rutger.edu