piano service in music colleges

Jim pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Tue, 31 Dec 1996 20:59:12 -0700 (MST)

Dear David:

150 pianos is too much for any technician to care for adequately at the
FULLTIME rate.  I did for 15 years, but not to my satisfaction.  The only
waY I could do it at all was to work the PM shift so that I didn't
have to waste time trying to get into studios etc.  Even at that , you
have to be very fast and have a good priority system (written about
previously).  If you don't have time to do good work, you WILL have
complaints.  My successor discovered this.

You need to keep track of how much time you are working on pianos and
how much time you spend in communication about the needs including
administrating time.  If you are on a bid basis, you could starve and
ruin your reputation.  If they are using a leasing plan for the pianos
they will need more tunings.  If they own the pianos, they need to assess
the value of the stock and plan for replacements if they are not going
to commit any funds to upkeep.  I didn't realize how much pressure
there was on me until I resigned after 15 years.  I felt better and made
more money the next year.

Jim Coleman, Sr.

PS My school just lost the Rose Bowl game tonight.  We could have won it
and really tho't we had.  But it's not over until it's over.  Too bad.
Well, anyway, we sure made our former coach Cooper sweat.  He didn't get
happy until the very last minute of the game.

Jim Coleman, Sr.