archive use/agraffe extraction

JElving@aol.com JElving@aol.com
Tue, 31 Dec 1996 23:15:07 -0500

To the list & Lance Lafargue,RPT -

You write:
2.) What's the latest on broken aggraffe extraction??  I have used easy-
outs but wondered if there was an easier/safer way.
and:
Can I make my own by just modifying a good hard screwdriver?
Is it easier than easy-outs?

There are three ways you can go here:
1. There is a tool made that looks like a screwdriver for removing those
strange screws that you see in the stalls in public restrooms. You know, the
kind you can screw in mut not out? Like I said, it looks like a screwdriver,
but has two hardened points to dig in the screw and back it out. Check with
places that would handle those screws and see if they can get one of those in
the right size.
2. You can take a screwdriver of the right size and grind or file (if you
like the extra work!) the same type of two sharp points on it.
3. I have used a jack spring reamer (the one with all the sharp little
points, an extra one that isn't real precious) to dig in and remove them.

Ususally, I haven't found that these are in so tight that I need much else.
With the easy out, I have found that there is more work than necessary, and
it is much too easy to damage other things like the threads in the hole.

John Elving, RPT
Elving's Piano Service