Broken Agraffe

Jeff Stickney jpage@selway.umt.edu
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 07:11:34 -0700 (MST)

Dear List:
        I was called recently to appraise a 1928 Steinway L.  It is in very
good condition relative to it's age, except that the agraffe on the lowest A
was broken.  The problem is that whoever tried to remove the remaining piece
of agraffe was either trying to use an EZ-out or drill the agraffe itself
out, and in the process drilled a hole next to the agraffe in the plate.
They must have given up at this point because that's how it remains - with
no low A.
        The question is:  How would this situation be best dealt with?
Drill out the whole mess, tap it, install an insert with an inner thread
matching the thread of the appropriate agraffe?  If so, should the insert be
epoxied in place?  Where would I find such an insert?  Could the "mess" be
drilled out by hand or would I need a drill press to keep it clean?
        Anyone with experience here?  Any other ideas are welcome.  Thanks!
Jeff Stickney, RPT
University of Montana
jpage@selway.umt.edu