message formats

William Bailer Wbailer@concentric.net
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 03:43:26 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 30 Oct 1996 TrptPlayer@aol.com wrote:

>Would someone please explain again how to keep our messages from activating
>the end line and carriage return characters?   I know this was discussed
>quite a while ago but with the involvement of new  participants I am
>receiving many messages that  have this very annoying format.  Perhaps there
>is some techno switch I can throw to keep all incoming mail in ASCI Format.
>Everyone keep up the good work.  I enjoy the arguments, and am learning about
>our craft each day.
>Tom Thompson,   Assoc. PTG,   MPT

Tom,
I don't know what you mean by "activating end line ...".  There are many
problems with the way people format their email.  For instance, your
line length is too long--  after being quoted a few times, your lines
will begin to wrap eratically and be difficult to read.  You should set
your line length to 72 characters, and use a mono-spaced font for your
email display.

A big problem is:  we don't know what our messages look like on other
users' systems!  Would you like to start a co-operative effort to put
together some "standards" and suggestions for improving our email
posting in pianotech?  I'm game.

Bill Bailer

\\\  William Bailer                              wbailer@cris.com
\\\  Rochester, NY, USA                       phone: 716-473-9556
\\\  Interests: acoustics, JSBach, anthropology, piano technology