Subj: Historical Tuning(long)

William Bailer Wbailer@concentric.net
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 02:36:18 -0500 (EST)

Ed,
I have a few specific questions in reference to extracted lines from of
your message, as follows:

On Sun, 6 Oct 1996 A440A@aol.com wrote:
<big snips throughout> ...

>The Young(1799) temperament is the workhorse well temperament for me.
>The Victorian that Owen publishes is nice, but too subtle for

>Mozart sounded better in a Prinz,

>but Beethoven takes on stuff [that] can sound good on a Prinz/Neidhart,

>Chopin can become very interesting if played on the DeMorgan,

> The  increased inharmonicity of our modern pianos should be taken into
>account when deciding on temperaments.  What was tolerably smooth on a
>harpsichord is usually harsher on the modern piano.  Thus,  a temperament in
>favor during a composers day, on the older instrument, becomes a lot more of
>a harmonic handful when  their music is performed on a modern, high tension
>scale.

>Ed Foote

Ed,
Since a modern piano tone contains a lower percentage of higher
partials, it seems to me that it should be MORE tolerant of extreme
temperament than a harpsichord.  Not only is this borne out by my
experience in tuning well and meantone temperaments, but there are
historical documents that indicate that there was an intent to reduce
the over-all number of beat rates so that the temperament itself (in the
more common 50% of keys) is inherently more harmonious than equal
temperament.  What IS different about music played on pianos is that it
is often more modern music that is written in key signatures of more
that three sharps or flats--  THAT may be what is heard as more harsh in
an historical temperament.  What do you think?

Bill Bailer

\\\  William Bailer                              wbailer@cris.com
\\\  Rochester, NY, USA                       phone: 716-473-9556
\\\  Interests: acoustics, JSBach, anthropology, piano technology