HUGE pitch raise

jpiesik@arinc.com jpiesik@arinc.com
Mon, 21 Oct 1996 12:57:57 -0400

Joel,

I do almost pitch raises from the bottom up, string by string.  From all that I
have read (everything that I can get my eyes on) regarding pitch raising, the
way I have been trained, and the results I have gotten from all my pitch raises,
indicates to me that this method is an effective, stable, quick way to pitch
raise - but not the only way to pitch raise, of course.  The results are very
reliable and consistent, too.

I use the SAT for all my pitch raise procedures, and have very good results.  (I
wish Dr. Al Sanderson would pipe in here to offer the results of his extensive
studies/experiments as to why this is a good method for pitch raising.)  It
seems that the added loads are distributed more evenly (smoothly?) providing a
more stable result, and it allows one to use the overshoot method to end up with
the piano REALLY close to being in tune AFTER the pitch raise.

Every situation requires its own special considerations when pitch raising, but
the "from the bottom up" method works very well in most all cases.

Sincerely,

John

jpiesik@arinc.com wrote:  <snipped>

(BTW, pitch raise from the bottom up - A0 up to C8, string by string.)

>     John Piesik
>     Piesik's Piano Service
>     San Diego, CA
>     JPIESIK@ARINC.COM

John:

I was just curious what your technical or physical reasoning is for this
procedure.  Is this just for mega-pitch raises or do you do it this way
for any pitch raise?

Regards----Joel