soundboard shims

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk
Thu, 17 Oct 1996 19:27:03 +0100

In article <961016235622_128667971@emout11.mail.aol.com>, PNOTNR@aol.com
writes
>(This is a question I asked about a year ago, and received absolutely no
>response.  Either my question was considered naive, or everyone thought
>someone else would tackle it.)

Depending on what school of thought you belong to.  Whether you scrape
your soundboards, or remove the polish with paint stripper.

If you belong to the latter you may consider putting your shim in before
you strip the soundboard and trim it down, then when you come to strip
the soundboard the little bit of stain which is present in the varnish
will stain the new white wood practically to the same colour of the
original soundboard.  You can then bleach the soundboard with oxalic
acid.

To your second part, that's an interesting one. When I have removed
soundboard planks I have tended to save the middle and and cut them
approximately an inch wide and that gives me one inch strips and the
thickness of the soundboard, then I plain them in to a V shape this
gives me the thickness of the soundboard at the top tapered down to
nothing and they work out about three quarters of an inch tall this is
generally more than enough to fill the worst cracks with enough sticking
out proud to trim off, I also use a V shaped chisel to cut open the
crack in the soundboard.

Hope this is of some help.

Barrie.

--

Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally Friendly
The UK PIano Page                              |