Historical Tuning (Questionnaire, LONG)

Scott Thile sethile@msumusik.mursuky.edu
Thu, 10 Oct 1996 13:51:45 -0600 (MDT)

Hi All,

In light of the recent but brief appearance of this thread I thought it
would be a good time to post this email version of my questionnaire. It
first appeared in the CAUT Newsletter. *Any* technician who has not already
returned a questionnaire is encouraged to respond to this email version. If
you have already responded, please do not respond to this. I will compile
the responses and publish the result in the CAUT Newsletter. If there is
interest I will also send an email version of the results to the list for
those of you who do not receive the Newsletter.

BTW, Future plans include placing the CAUT newsletter on the "Piano Page"
web site.

Please respond "off list" to:

sethile@msumusik.mursuky.edu

Here it is:

                   Piano Technician's Questionnaire
                    Use of UN-equal temperaments
Dear Colleague,

I am researching the use of un-equal temperaments by piano technicians and
would greatly appreciate your time in filling out this questionnaire to
help evaluate the type, and the extent of un-equal temperament tuning of
keyboard instruments for teaching, practice, and performance venues. The
results will be part of a future issue of the CAUT newsletter focusing on
un-equal temperament tuning in Academia.

1. How many concerts and recitals do you tune for per year on average?

2. What instruments do you regularly service in performance venues? Please
indicate how many of each:
Modern concert grands (9' or larger):
Modern recital size grands (app. 7'):
Forte pianos:
Harpsichords:
Clavichords:
3a. Do you or your assistants use un-equal temperaments on studio,
classroom, practice room, or home instruments?
Always____, Often_____, Sometimes_____ Never______
Which un-equal temperaments? Please List:

3b. Do you or your assistants tune keyboard instruments using un-equal
temperaments for the performance of period music? Yes or No

If yes, how often on average? _______ times per year..  If yes, on which
instruments? (X those that apply)
Modern Pianos:
Forte pianos:
Harpsichords:
Clavichords:

Also, if yes, which temperaments? Please list:

4. Do you ever have requests from faculty, students, visiting performers,
or other clients asking you to tune un-equal temperaments?  Yes or No

If yes, do you always attempt to honor those requests? Yes or No

5  Are you ever asked to recommend a un-equal temperament for a specific
concert? Yes or No

6. On a scale of zero to five,(zero being no experience, five being a great
deal of experience) how would you rate your level of experience in regards
to tuning un-equal temperaments?

7. Are you interested in gaining more experience with un-equal
temperaments? Yes or No

8. Do you use a visual tuning device to assist in tuning un-equal
temperaments? Yes or No.

If yes, which one?

9. Do you feel tuning un-equal temperaments is relevant to the
performance of period music?  Yes or No

10. What technical problems or complaints (if any) have you encountered
relating to the tuning or use of un-equal temperaments:

Thank you for your participation! Your answers will be kept strictly
confidential. Please email  your questionnaire to:
sethile@msumusik.mursuky.edu  or snail mail to: Scott E. Thile, RPT,
Department of Music, Murray State University, PO. Box 9, Murray, KY 42071.
Or you can fax it to: Att. Scott Thile, (502) 762-6335.

Scott E. Thile, RPT
Piano-Instrument Technician
Department of Music
Murray State University