Slow Times?

Randy Potter rpotter@bendnet.com
Tue, 08 Oct 1996 19:33:54 -0700

Dear Jim;

Thanks for your reply. And for sharing your prospective with me. (And all
of us.)

Sometimes, as I read posting after posting on the same matter, I tends to
become old and I wonder if it is of any use at all.

Then, when I take the time to get involved, I always find that I learn
something useful, and important. Every time.

So thanks for your useful perspective, and your insights.

You said:
>"To characterize Yamahas "Mystery Buyer" program along with the Payola of the
fifties and
>sixties, does Yamaha a great disservice and is not even slightly accurate. I
am sure that
>you just had/have the wrong conception of how the program is conducted."
Yes, I am sure you are right (that I had the wrong conception of it),
because I never heard anything about it (in all its five years?) until I
started reading the posts here recently. So the only perception I had of
it was what I read here.
I apologize to Yamaha for that, and sincerely hope I did not make anyone
feel untoward them  regarding any of their products. I personally own
several Yamaha products, and they all serve their purpose quite well.

I had a client who was going to trade in her Baldwin Acrosonic spinet for
a Clavinova just last Christmas. She had been demoed, and was stricken by
it. After several discussions, she decided she ought to keep the piano,
too, if for no other reason than that it would allow her to play duets
with her students. She did, and is happy she did. (So am I, because I
continue to service her piano.)

I really appreciate reading the perspective of so many members in these
postings. The crisis this list went through last spring, and the meeting
in Dearborn in July, was a real watershed experience, I think. I may be
wrong, but I think if I had posted what I wrote last spring, I would have
had a stack of nasty letters in my box the next day, rather than a kind,
appropriate, alternate perspective letter pointing out, in a most
palatable way, my wrong thinking. So thanks, Jim. And thanks to all the
rest of you who put up with reading this stuff - and then also make
appropriate comments to enhance and enrich the rest of us.

Randy Potter, R.P.T.

Randy Potter, R.P.T.
Randy Potter School of Piano Technology
"Training Competent Piano Technicians for the 21st Century"
New Address: rpotter@bendnet.com
New Area Code: 541. Phone: 541-382-5411. FAX: 541-382-5400.
See Us on the Net at: www.tuningschool.com