Do It Yourself Piano Repair?

Frederick G Scoles scoles@oswego.edu
Tue, 08 Oct 1996 10:55:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 7 Oct 1996, Joel Rappaport wrote:

> Piano Techies:
>
> While surfing around, looking for all things piano related, I came upon
> a company in California called IPS or International Piano Supply.  Their
> page is at:
>
> http://www.pianosupply.com/partlist.html

About two months ago I ordered IPS's catalog (around $5.00).  They sent
me about a 60 page catalog that consists mainly of fuzzy photocopies and
pasted parts photos obviously taken from the main supply house catalogs
and some instructional photos taken from Reblitz, first edition.  A
separate sheet says that the catalog is out of date in parts, so one must
look at a listed web page for page updates.  The prices are discounted
10% from their list for technicians; but it looks like their prices seem
to be almost double that of the supply houses (am I wrong on this?).
Therefore, I presently see no reason to order from IPS, unless one has no
conventional trade accounts set up.  I saw no evidence to support their
claim that they might have some parts that no one else has.  Please
correct me if this conclusion is wrong.

Fred Scoles, RPT