Subj: Yamaha Repinning Question

Glenn Grafton gleng@fast.net
Mon, 07 Oct 1996 09:23 -0400 (EDT)

>On Sun, 6 Oct 1996, Rob Kiddell wrote:
>
>>Ed,
>>
>>       Regarding the "cross-hatched" pins, I was referring to the standard
>>pins I get from North American supply houses, which have a fine
>>thread and are, in cases, threaded in both directions, in effect, a
>>'cross-hatched' design, although I admit that I've only seen a couple
>>of boxes of these, and they were a specific brand. The basic
>>question is that I repin using reaming/pounding technique, rather
>>than threading into the pinblock. Is this approach workable on
>>Yamahas, or should I opt for the heavy-threaded pins and turn them
>>into the block?
>>
>>Regards,
>>Rob Kiddell
>>R.P.T., P.T.G.
>>C.A.P.T. Student
>>Edmonton, Canada
>>http://www.planet.eon.net/~atonal/atonal.html

Rob;

You probably mean that the tuning pins used in the Yamaha are cut thread
pins. Yamaha uses cut threads that are machined into the pins, as opposed
to rolled threads.

The cut thread pins are rather common. American Piano Supply, in Clifton
NJ, only sells cut thread pins. When we've re-pinned Yamaha pianos we don't
use any different method.

Glenn Grafton
Grafton Piano & Organ Co.