Soft pedal adjust

William Maxim WMaxim@gnn.com
Mon, 07 Oct 1996 07:35:46 +0000

Steve:

My experience has been that this is more an education problem (for
the customer) than a problem with the piano.  We are all used to
TV's and radios with volume controls that are almost 100% variable
from 0 to full blast.  Pianos are just not that way.

When confronted with this problem, I always show the customer that
the hammers are in fact moving toward the strings and that it
simply makes it EASIER to play softly by reducing the throw
distance.

Once in a while, though, I have run into one where the production
line settings turned out a piano where the rail would hardly move
before running into the stop felt.  In such a case, yes, I would
remove some of the stop felt.  You have to use your judgment on how
much to remove.  There should still be plenty of hammer travel
before let-off, or the pianist will have little control.

Bill Maxim, RPT