Cross-country piano move

PIANOBIZ@aol.com PIANOBIZ@aol.com
Wed, 02 Oct 1996 20:46:00 -0400

>Now, the question:  A professor here at Wheaton College is going to
>receive his parent's Baldwin L, which is located in Denver, CO.  Outside
>of the usual shipping precautions, does he need to worry about what the
>change of climate is going to do to this instrument, coming to Chicago?
>The piano is only ten years old.  I told him that I did not believe that
>there would be any problems, other than seasonal tuning changes, due to
>our mild ;> weather.
>
>Thanks,
>Al Zajicek RPT

Hi Al

I spent some time out there in Wheaton, went to the grad school ' 81-' 82.
 In fact I still own my home back there on Willow Ave which I rent out.  I
also lived 1 1/2 years out in the Denver area, Colorado Springs, and tuned
out there too' 76-' 77.
Every single piano that spends its life in that Denver climate dries out
badly and suffers loose pins.  It's arid!

If the piano comes to Wheaton I can't see any negatives, just to be aware of
the dry history and perhaps wuill need oversize pins sooner than you'd
expect.

Are you the Wheaton College tech?  They asked me to apply but the job was
poorly funded and they had a history of trouble with their previous techs so
I didn't apply.  I hope things are going well for you.

David Sanderson
Littleton, MA
Pianobiz@aol.com