Substitute Tuners (was Re: overbooked)

Avery Todd ATodd@UH.EDU
Wed, 02 Oct 1996 09:52:41 -0500

Jim,
   I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear. Believe me, I had no intention of
denigrating those who only do home/church/school tunings. That's primarily
what I've done most of my career. The original question had reference to
finding a fresh tuning to hear to help find a possible stand-in. Except
possibly a school tuning, those tunings are not usually on public display
to be able to hear. Barb's suggestion is about the only way to be able to
check out their tuning. It's a good one which I had not really considered.
I don't know why. I've auditioned for things most of my life, including my
present job.
   Thanks for the input Barb, Ed and Jim.

Avery

>  As for those who do only home/school/church tunings, some of the best
>tuners I know only do these types of tunings. The reasons for this are
>numerous but include the not uncommon disdain for the political climate that
>surrounds most institutional/concert settings. Now there is nothing wrong
>with this and it only reflects human nature but some people do not want to
>address these problems on a day to day basis. The fact that some tech might
>normally do only these types of tunings does not automatically preclude their
>ability for doing concert level work.
>  Hopefully some of your colleagues in CAUT will chime in with their thoughts
>on this issue.
>  Hope this gives you some more food for thought to add to Barb and Eds'.
>Jim Bryant (FL)

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music
University of Houston