Ivory keytops

waco@ari.net waco@ari.net
Wed, 20 Nov 1996 12:45:39 -0500

The discussion about painting and titanium oxide has spurred me to contribute my
own method of reaffixing ivory keytops.  No hot glue, paint, or special tools
required, do the whole job in the customer's parlor.

1.  Remove old ivory with a sharp knife.  A long razor knife works for me.
Don't cut yourself or the key.

2.  Scrape the glue residue off the top of the key.  A single edge razor and/or
a sanding bar work well.  While you're at it, you may as well clean up the key
with steel wool and gentle scraping on the sides.

3.  If you intend to use the original ivory, clean it as above.  Otherwise
select a replacement ivory that closely matches.  Clean the bottom in either
case.

4.  Use thin CA glue (I like Bob Smith Super Gold, cause it does not get thick,
wicks well, and has no noxious fumes).  Take a length of white vinyl tape, the
same type as 3M electrical tape, I use what they call rigging tape, it's white,
about an inch wide, and a little thicker than electical tape, get it in marine
supply stores.  Glue the vinyl tape to the key top.  CA loves to glue vinyl
almost as much as it loves to glue human skin.  Trim the tape to the edges of
the top of the key with a razor.  Now glue the ivory on top of the tape.  Thin
CA will give you about ten seconds of working time.  Ivory dust, seems to kick
it off so watch out.

5.  If you use the correct thickness of tape, the ivory head and tails will
match up in thickness.  If not you will need to do a little sanding.  Use a file
to round new edges.  Don't leave sharp corners, musicians hate that!

6.  To sand, use 220 grit wet/dry (use it dry, ivory gums up when wet).  Place
the paper on a flat surface and sand the keytop until it's level.  Now go to 400
grit paper and sand smooth.  Next polish - the real pros use a buffing wheel so
I am told.  On site, a rag and rubbing compound will do fine.

7.  Replace the key in the action.  I have used this method on hundreds of keys,
and never had one come loose yet.  The repair looks just like the original,
except the ivory is cleaner and more level.

Hope this is useful.

Frank Weston