Squeaky Knuckles

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iAmerica.net
Wed, 20 Nov 1996 09:24:45 -0800

Richard Wagner wrote:

> Here's a question I promised to pass on to the list from a fellow technician.
> He'd do it himself but he's currently modem-less.
>
> "What is the best, and most permanent, way to silence squeaking knuckles on
> new grand pianos?"
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
>                                             Richard Wagner RPT
>
> I'm brand new @ this list and have really enjoyed it - (losing valuable
shop time!?!?). I use micro-fine teflon powder.  After brushing with a
brass brush (may not need to on new knuckles) I burnish it in with a
rounded piece of wood.  Charlotte Eschmann,RPT recently recommended
burnishing with a piece of cork which I will try next.  Brian DeTar,RPT
also told me that a second application later may be needed to more fully
cover the knuckles, but it will work great and last.  Also spray the
whippen tops with McLube 1725 - combination of both is slick stuff!!

Lance Lafargue,RPT
(New Orleans Chapter)