Cleaning Dirty Ivories

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk
Sun, 17 Nov 1996 13:29:12 +0000

First of all welcome to the list |Paul.

In article <328ED23C.C3@pcms.com>, Dean Thomas <deanthom@pcms.com>
writes

>Cleaning dirty ivories is not the issue. Closing the pores is the issue.
>Cleaning off surface grime is only good for a few days of use. If you
>polish the surface once it is clean, then the ivories will stay clean
>much longer, needing only to be wiped with terrycloth.
Very well put Dean

>A missionary friend shared that in Africa, when the natives want their
>ivory sculpture to gleam, they use Brasso. If you polish them with a
>wheel, you'd use an appropriate abrasive, probably about the same grit as
>Brasso.
I've used brasso in the past myself, but I have never seen it in the
shops for years.

>In a pinch, you can even use white tooth paste or tooth polish (NOT GEL!!
>as you need the abrasives found in the paste or polish). It has worked
>for me. The tooth paste can also double for filling nail holes in
Some how I can't see myself , sat in a customers house with a tube of
toothpast in one hand a tooth brush in the other a key firmly wedged in
between my legs and a customer peering over my shoulder. :-)   I would
always persuade the customer to let me take the keys back to my workshop
to buff them up.

Kind regards,

Barrie.

--

Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally Friendly
The UK PIano Page                              |