THAT MYSTERIOUS BACK CHECK

Brent.Fischer@asu.edu Brent.Fischer@asu.edu
Tue, 12 Nov 1996 21:09:49 -0700

Dear Jerry,

    This is an interesting subject that is generating excellent responses.
I have read the posts concerning front rail punchings mostly and would
like to comment briefly on that single subject.
    As of about a year ago we have been installing  Yamaha front
rail punchings on many Steinway keyboards here at the school and also
at the Steinway dealership here in Phoenix, Az. The discovery of being
able to dial in a much more accurate aftertouch with these punchings has
been worth the experiment not to mention the difference in volume.

    The issue of changing tonal color, I have found, is less significant
but worthy of disscussion.  The keybed in a Steinway is by design
supposed to be a tonal contributor to the instrument and by the
connection of the finger to the key to the keyframe and bed allows all
artists to deliver their own unique energy to the instrument and
by using firmer punchings we find that energy being crisper and stronger.

It is also true that it can be a negative energy force from the
player introduced into the piano which is a good reason for all
technicians to never take criticism personally.

The concern of injury makes me think that for our piano studios
it may be best to have one instrument with Yamaha punchings and the
other with Kluge punchings.  There is definately more shock with
the firmer punchings but on performance instruments it will be
our strategy to use them throughout.  The conciseness of regulating
dip with the Yamaha punchings has us even looking for a source
for paper punchings thinner than toilet tissue.

Sincerely,

Brent.Fischer@ASU.EDU
Arizona State University/Tempe