knuckles

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 07 Nov 1996 21:46:47 -0500

>Greetings and Salutations List,
>	I would like to inquire of your great minds how you go about
>removing old knuckles for replacement. It seems to me that the only
>tool I've ever seen for the purpose always seems to split the wood. A
>less than optimum result I'm sure you would agree. The only reslt
>I've come up with over the years is to bandsaw the knuckle off and
>then slice down the middle of the remaining core followed by chipping
>out the remainder. There must be an easier way! Recently I modified
>an old Hale center pin pliers to drive out the knuckle from the side
>while giving support (opposite jaw) to the other side. This works
>when the glue is not too strong but just bends the pliers when the
>joint is good. What other alternatives could you suggest  to either
>this approach or the traditional JAWS?
>
>			Anticipatingly,   (is that a word?)
>				Greg
>Greg & Mary Ellen Newell

Greg & Marry Ellen:

I have done very few knuckle replacements, but it does take patience and
time. I use a good, large end cutter, that grabs the core  I don't squeeze
hard enough to break the wood, but I gently, I repeat, gently, wiggle the
thing out. Of course the shank has to be off the action to do this.

The reason I have not removed too many knuckles is that if there is a problem
with a knuckle, (it has come unwrapped, or it is worn out), I replace the
shank and knuckle with a new one. It is much easier, and less time consuming.
If it is a case where all the knuckles need to be replaced, by this time, the
hammers are probably also worn out, and the flange centers are on shaky
ground. If this is the case, I tell the customer that the hammers, shanks and
flanges, (complete with knuckle) have to be replaced, and give them a price.
I don't offer them the option of replacing the knuckles only, or the hammers
only. As far as the customer is concerned, it is one unit, and it does not
come appart. Of course with the new hammers, shanks and flanges comes a
regulation. etc.

Willem Blees  RPT
St. Louis.