Knuckles

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 07 Nov 1996 21:29:37 -0500

>I have a customer with 25 yr old 'M'.  The knuckles are dense
>and make noise when the jack returns.
>Question: Can they be softened?
>Either by; ever so slightly stretching the buckskin with a small needle
>between that and the felt. Or using a small drill in the felt to relieve
>some of the density? ?
>Of course replacment would be best, but if it came to that; I'd
>recommend new s/f. This has the beloved teflon 'perma-click' action.
>I 'm trying to figure an easy way out for my customer.
>Thanks,
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Jon Page
>Cape Cod. Mass

Jon:

Are you sure it is  the knuckles that are creating the noise, because the
jack doesn't hit the knuckle when it returns. If you do want to "soften" the
knuckles, you can "yarn" them. That is, take a large needle and draw wool
yarn between the buckskin and the felt core, where the jack scrapes against
the knuckle. Be sure to use real wool, because that will adhear to the wool
core. If you use nylon yarn, it will faltten out too much, and eventually
come out.

I think the clicking sound is the telflon bushing, and maybe a new set of s/f
is the only way to solve the problem.

Willem Blees RPT
St. Louis