Dead Note

Richard m remoody@iw.net
Wed, 06 Nov 1996 23:12:02 -0600

This is mentioned in Reblitz (p.11, 1st edition) but a techincial name is
not given for the "strip of wood glued behind the notch on the back of the
soundboard." Dimensions aren't given here.
	Jim Sr. mentioned the wood strip used by Kawai.(45 inch studio).  I think
I saw one on their larger upright also.   If it is possible to inspect one
of these models, that would be a good example to follow.  You can be sure
Kawai "cut and tried" many designs before settling on the "right one".

	As to which wood, I would go with which ever conducts sound the best and
is strongest.

Richard Moody ptt

----------
> From: Barrie Heaton <Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk>
> To: pianotech@byu.edu
> Subject: Re: Dead Note
> Date: Wednesday, November 06, 1996 1:23 PM
>
> This ones a new one on me.  Could someone enlighten me.
>
> 1. Do you make the bar the same thickness as the bridge.
>
> 2. To what height does the bar potrude from the soundboard.
>
> 3. Does the bar come in contact with the belly bars.
>
> 4. Do you taper the ends of the bar like the belly bars.
>
> 5. Why mapple?  or is Beech just as good a substitute.
>
> 6. Do you just glue the bar or do you screw and glue the bar.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Barrie.
>
> In article <E6E5B3DF.283F@oro.net>, Bonifield-Poulson <bonifarm@oro.net>
> writes
> >  He suggested installing a maple bar on
> >the back side of the soundboard, behind the bridge, to increase the
> >energy transmission,
>

> --
>
> Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally
Friendly