Single vs. three string unisons

Joel Rappaport joelr@flash.net
Wed, 06 Nov 1996 10:02:16 -0800

Dave Porritt has and interesting observation that I have been wondering
about while following this subject.  Does a rubber mute absorb energy
from a hammer blow, or does it transform the muted string(s) into
immovable objects so that *all* of the hammer energy goes into the
unmuted string(s)?

If we make an assumption that a _rubber_ mute will not take on hammer
energy and a _felt_ mute, however, will absorb the energy - taking
energy away from the unmuted string(s) - maybe there is a measurable
difference.  Maybe the pitch level (not to mention energy output) of the
individual strings vs. the whole unison can be measured.  Has anyone
tried these tests with both kinds of mutes?

I use felt mutes made of hammer head material, cut and shaped
appropriately.  Of course, if the above assumption is not true, there is
always the <Delete> button up there.....

Joel Rappaport