The Young Chang Blues

EHILBERT@midd.middlebury.edu EHILBERT@midd.middlebury.edu
Mon, 25 Mar 1996 15:47:58 -0500 (EST)

Vince Mrykalo wrote:
>As for the escapement, it is my belief that them thar knuckles are
>too big.  Replacement is the thing to do.  Use the Renner small ones.

As in a post I made earlier on this with regards to the knuckles being
involved in this problem, I suspect the "Renner small ones" don't necessarily
feel better because they are smaller, but rather because the leather on them
is much tighter and does not drag with the jack.  Replacing the knuckles may
very well work - but I would still heartily suggest just try tightening the
present leather and see if if doesn't help.  I concur with the comments on
repinning and lubricating also.  Still, if the knuckle leather is loose and
able to move with the jack, you will have drag that no repinning and no
lubricating will take away.  Again, try it on a few and see.
Ed Hilbert