Susan's leg/lyre box

Jim_Harvey@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com Jim_Harvey@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com
Tue, 19 Mar 1996 22:40:28 -0500 (EST)

Allan/list,

I built such a box, much as Susan Graham described in her article.
When I need it, the box is indispensable. But I've stopped carrying it
unless I know I'll have a situation requiring it. The box simply
wasn't paying for its use to weight ratio. I've found it best to
reschedule for such work. Remember, with the exception of spyder
dollies, the box itself, for the original purpose, is the tip of the
iceburg. there are still (presumably) leg plates, casters and whatever
other parts involved that caused you to need the box in the first
place.

I was primed to challange your 'day in the shop' statement, realizing
that you meant that in general terms. However, while I don't recall
how much time was required, it was not a casual undertaking --
especially for a simple box. In order to keep dimensions reasonable
and still custom fit the list of 'goodies' that Susan described, it
was almost on a par with building a ship in a bottle.

A few more thoughts or modifications for consideration:

1. Susan never did arrive at a satisfactory method of locking the box
for transport, so resorted to a hasp arrangement. On the non-hinged
side, I used two cut-off machine screws epoxied into one vertical side
of the box. These fit through corresponding holes on the door (the
holes being lined with pieces of brass hammershank repair sleeves),
and are secured with wing nuts.

2, Use piano mover's webbing for the carrying strap. Mount the strap
*inside* the top of the box, folded over and screwed down, and make
relief cuts (slits) for the straps through the side pieces.

3. Remember to add hydraulic jacks to your list of items that lose
their efficiency in cold weather. I almost discovered this the hard
way!

4, Paint the box, and affix an embossed version of your business card
to the door. The first makes you look more professional; the second is
because I've noticed "others" admiring the utility of the device.

5. Glue rubber stair tread on the top and bottom surfaces; looks
sharp, prevents scratches, keeps things from wandering around.

6. Add a small square of plywood with a 'dimple' drilled in the center
that corresponds to the tip of the jack; this spreads out the surface
area of the jack without impeding any swiveling/leveling actions. This
extra piece normally stores inside the box.

7. For structural reasons, the box should be made with the top and
bottom covering the side, front and back pieces. For load *carrying*,
it would be the other way, but for *supporting* weight, this is the
correct method. (I hope this wasn't too confusing).

8. Glue and screws are the order of the day.

Now go to it!

Jim Harvey, RPT