Glides and after touch

Vanderhoofven dkvander@clandjop.com
Sat, 09 Mar 1996 16:08:03 -0600

At 09:23 PM 3/5/96 -0700, you wrote:
>        I have heard of some very respected Techs who will set the glides a
>little extra deep to increase dip and after touch.  My question is how far
>can we go with this?   Assuming that the glides are set correctly in the
>first place, would an increase of 1.5mm key height be too much?  What are
>the dangers of doing this? (Please don't tell I'll know I've gone too far
>when I have buried the hammer flange screws into the pinblock)  Does the
>brand of piano make a difference? (i.e. sturdiness vs. flexabilty of key
>frame) How does weather changes affect these setting?
>
>curious,
>
>Bob,
>Robert S. Bussell RPT
>Indianapolis In.
>rbussell@iquest.net

Dear Bob,

I am an Associate, and still a student, hoping to become an RPT.  I have
always been told that the glide bolts should be set properly so that the
keyframe is properly bedded, and that they should not be used to set key
height or adjust for key dip problems.

I have never experimented with this myself, and so I really don't know a
good reply to your query.  The response by Bob Davis sounded logical to me.
If there are other reasons for doing this, I would like to know.

Sincerely,

David A. Vanderhoofven
dkvander@clandjop.com
Joplin, Missouri, USA
Associate Member, Piano Technicians Guild
web page:  http://www.clandjop.com/~dkvander/