No subject

Newton Hunt nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu
Fri, 08 Mar 1996 14:08:27 -0500

Each manufacturer has their own method for setting glides, but some thoughts
along the line have occured to me.

In a S&S class Scott mentioned that force applied to the lyre of a piano can
warp the keybed away from the keyframe and cause noise or loss of aftetouch.

Applying too much force by the glides can
      Lift the back rail on some pianos and cause a thump when keys return.
      Bow up the front rail and cause a thump when keys are played.
      Cause excess shift pedal friction
      Be only a judgement call based upon experience and knowledge of that
            piano and the demands of the moment.

We all depart from SOPs when we have to but knowing how far is too far is
knowing what happens, short term and long term, because of our departure.  If
it damages the instrument or the pianist it is too far.  If it helps the piano
or the pianist it is not too far.

In the business there are few absolutes, lots of whites, blacks and grays so
judgement, good judgement, is our stock in trade.

If you do not set your pins it is abolute that it will not stay in tune.
It is absolutely certain that every piano will go out of tune.  That is why we
have jobs.

Have a good week end.
      Newton
      nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu