site-o-tuner repairs

Avery Todd ATodd@UH.EDU
Thu, 07 Mar 1996 17:16:42 -0600

David,
   Below is your post as I received it from pianotech. I hope you get some
   The harpsichord are now boxed, but too late to get out today, so I'll do
it tomorrow. As you unwrap them the first four you'll come to have a
pinning/spring problem. The others, "in" the bag, have broken plectrum.
   I'd appreciate it if you would write up your repair method and post it
to me or send it the package. I need to know about the "springs", also.
   Since this may turn into a bigger project than you anticipated, PLEASE
feel free to send us a bill. Make it out to the School of Music, University
of Houston, Houston, TX 77204-4893 and send it to my attention and I'll see
that the right person gets it.
   Thanks for your help and I apologize, again, for the delay.

>Hello - greetings from over at the harpsichord list.
>
>Can anyone direct me to a source of repairs to old Hale site-o-tuners,
>which came from defunct Tuners Supply in Boston in days of yore?
>
>I'm regularly asked about "tuning machines," and am unaware of
>any of the current crop with resolution into the fractions of cents
>for setting funny temperaments. So I still use my old Hale.
>
>But there are several around here (including one of mine) which were
>dropped once too often or otherwise have stopped working.
>
>I'm also unaware of a source for the successor machine, which I'vce
>seen but never used.
>
>Since I'm not a reader of this list, please reply directly ...
>and many thanks for your help and comments.
>
>                                                        David Calhoun
>
>_+~+_+~+_+~+_+~+_+~+_+~+_+~+_+~+_+~+_+~+_+~+_+~+_+~+_+~+_+~+_+~+_
>                          ANTE MUSICA
>  6220 Latona Avenue Northeast, Seattle, WAshington 98115-6553
>                Interne=D9 address=86 bb248@scn.org
>A Northwest Workshop affiliated with Zuckermann Harpsichords Inc.

Avery Todd, RPT
School of Music
University of Houston
atodd@uh.edu