Condemed

Mark Story mstory@ewu.edu
Thu, 07 Mar 1996 14:24:53 -0800 (PST)

Hi Don,

On Thu, 7 Mar 1996, Don Rose wrote:

> Hi Del,
>
> Many excellent tuner choose to use electronic aids. I'm sure all of them will resent this
statement.

> >   Last summer the PTG Council voted to change the exam for people using
> >a ETD (Electronic Tuning Device).  You HAVE to take the aural portion
> >FIRST.  If you can pass at 80% aurally why take the electronic portion?
> >That way you won't be condemed as an electronic tuner.

Your response got whacked by my editor, but with all due respect, I
disagree.  I have be using and ETD for at least ten years and I don't
take exception to Del's comment at all.  I passed the test aurally, can
do a fine quality tuning aurally at any time.  So, though I use an ETD most
of the time, I still consider myself and "aural tuner."  I support the
priciple of aural testing.  It's not all that hard to pass the exam at
80% -- I've participated in scoring some pretty bad tunings that still
passed at 80% or slightly above.

Mark Story, RPT

mstory@ewu.edu
Eastern Washington University Music Department
Cheney, Washington, USA
http:www.class.ewu.edu/MUSIC/Department/music.html