hammer voicing

Avery Todd ATodd@UH.EDU
Sun, 30 Jun 1996 14:13:51 -0500

Everett,
   The one thing that comes to my mind is fitting the hammer to the string.
You mention string leveling but be sure when the block the hammers against
the string, nothing rings through. That could involve some hammer
travelling, hammer shanks that have twisted a little, plus the hammer
filing itself.
   I'm sure you've probably checked and double checked these things, but
just in case.......
   Good luck. I'll be interested to hear what the final solution is.

>I am curently finishing some work on a Mason Hamlin AA and have just hung
>a set of Abel hammers. After the usual string leveling, shoulder voicing,
>etc.it had glorious sound--until I tried the soft pedal. The tone in the
>top one and a half octaves turns to a terrible soft, thin sound.
>Remember, the strings and hammers are matching and the crowns have been
>voiced evenly. I have hung a lot of hammers but have never really had this
>particular problem and have now run out of my bag of tricks. This
>performer uses a lot of half pedal on the una corda. Any suggestions?
>
>Everett Story RPT

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music
University of Houston