hammer voicing

Everett Story estory@uidaho.edu
Sat, 29 Jun 1996 17:00:07 -0700 (PDT)

I am curently finishing some work on a Mason Hamlin AA and have just hung
a set of Abel hammers. After the usual string leveling, shoulder voicing,
etc.it had glorious sound--until I tried the soft pedal. The tone in the
top one and a half octaves turns to a terrible soft, thin sound.
Remember, the strings and hammers are matching and the crowns have been
voiced evenly. I have hung a lot of hammers but have never really had this
particular problem and have now run out of my bag of tricks. This
performer uses a lot of half pedal on the una corda. Any suggestions?

Everett Story RPT