BASS TO TREBLE BREak

PIANOBIZ@aol.com PIANOBIZ@aol.com
Tue, 18 Jun 1996 07:26:46 -0400

Let's remember, this lack of volume on the lowest notes of the tenor bridge
occurs only on certain pianos, not all pianos.  And.... we routinely correct
this problem by just rescaling, achieving superb results.  Clearly, barring
some mechanical hindrance of the of the string's vibration, poor scale design
should be considered as the primary cause. We shouldn't ignore this fact when
we attempt to fix the problem.

These other very interesting and intriguing effects, in THIS application,
should be recognized as secondary cures.   Before we technicians start
drilling holes in back posts and screwing screws against ribs, before we
start hanging weights to the back sides of our customer's bridges, I'd like
to point out that this approach, in this situation, is curing the pain but
not taking out the splinter.

My comments regarding their effects were observations of their opposite
influence on the bridge.  One increased down bearing, the other decreased it.
 Yet both were being claimed to have the same effect, which is what I was
seeking to understand. That's the mystery I was trying to grapple with. What
was their commonality?

What happens when you place a vibrating tuning fork on wooden surface such as
a soundboard?    I liken both 1) adding a screw against the back side of the
soundboard from the back post and 2) the placing of a weight on the back side
of the bridge,  as the same phenomena. They are contact phenomena of
transferred energy in both situations.

David Sanderson
Pianobiz@aol.com