More on Aftertouch

Almida@aol.com Almida@aol.com
Mon, 17 Jun 1996 18:25:19 -0400

Thanks for all the reponses.

After changing the blow distance several times, I pretty much have put it
back to where is was when I started (at least close to that).  It was very
interesting to me to see how less playable the action got  the more I screwed
with it ( I'm sure no surprise to all!)  But this was not a total waste of
time for me.  I think it is helping me to figure out what is not quite right
with my action.

For one thing it seems because the blow distance is greater the 1 3/4" (it's
close to 2") I think my brain is expecting the sound to be produced sooner.
 As the blow distance decreased I got more and more excited about the piano.
 Of course the action was definately not working properly after this change.
 I had posted earlier about improving "sound clarity" for the pianist and
this may lead to an answer to several problems I've had.  The sound of the
piano was more precisely responding to my fingers and brain.

I'll try to describe how the piano is responding.  It is very sensitive to
light touch, slow and delicate playing.  Don't want to change that.  When I
try to play fast is when I notice the problems.   It seems to me the real
heart of my action is happening in the second half of the key throw.  I would
like more "meat" in the first part of the key throw.  When  I decreased the
blow distance, this was working better for me.  I feel like I have to hit the
keybed too much and too hard when I'm playing fast which slows me down and
makes for very choppy playing.  When I decreased the blow distance it seemed
that the action was just tighter and faster.  Could the keys have come back
to a rest position faster?  It seemed that way to me.

I'm sorry for such a vague description.  This has been very hard for me to
describe to people.  It doesn't help when my techs tell everything looks good
to them,  just get use to it!   I was at Costco of all places yesterday and
they were selling little baby grands.  I briefly played a few notes and told
my wife these play better than my B.  Thank goodness my piano sounds so nice!
 I know I can get the action set right for me.  It's just so frustrating to
have this great instrument and I'm always thinking about the action not the
music (sorry for the exaggeration).

As far as Tech recommendations I live in Portland, OR.

While I've got your attention,  I'm also frustrated with my ivory keys.  They
are too slippery for me.  Is this normal for ivory?  I never had a problem
with plastic keys.  Matter of fact,  I've never noticed any piano being too
slippery for me.

Thank all

Mitch

PS please no hair spray solutions!  Doesn't  work.