Kranich & Bach rep springs

Newton Hunt nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu
Fri, 14 Jun 1996 08:57:46 -0400

I have used two methods to replace spring loops.

I use silk chord from a sewing shop, round tooth picks, and a drill.
      1. determine the proper length of the loop.
      2. Drill out the old plug with a drill to match your tooth picks.
      3. Insert a loop of new chord into hole, around spring, pull loop
         until predetermined length is reached.
      4. Dip tooth pick into glue and insert until firmly wedged tight.
      5. Break off both ends of pick.

A trick taught me by John Ford is to take a board and drive two nails into
board the proper distance to make a loop of brass wire of about .015" and loop
the brass around the nails in a figure 8 pattern.  Cut the brass so there are
two half circles opposite loop end.  Insert into drilled out hole and seat
spring into loop.  The two half circles will prevent pull out.  The distance
between the two nails is cridical so some adjustment time will be needed.

Kronick Backaches are usually not work all this effort but if you have nothing
else to do the experiences will be valuable.
      Newton
      nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu