humidity control

PIANOBIZ@aol.com PIANOBIZ@aol.com
Thu, 13 Jun 1996 00:01:38 -0400

>Who of you who cares to respond feels that a
>humidity control device should be sold with every new piano? Does
>every customer with a used piano need one too? Thanks for the time
>taken to respond.
>                 Greg

Greg
We write a Dampp-Chaser 7-part system into the contract for all of our
rebuilds as required, not as optional.  If there has been sound board work,
or if it gets a new board we insist on protecting it with a 7-part system.
 It's silly to pay for the restoration work and not protect the piano.
 (7-part is basic 5-part 50Watt plus two additional rods.)
We install the dehumidifying system (50 watt) with humidistat in all of our
rental uprights.
We also install dehumidifying rods with humidistats under all grand pianos in
our shop, both ours for sale and our customers in for repairs, during spring,
summer and fall. The Dampp-Chaser system humidifying is too messy for the
shop with dust, moving pianos around and all, so we humidify the area with
room humidifyers when too dry.
On our new pianos we encourage buying the system but do not insist.
We have four distinct seasons here in Massachusetts and the pianos do get
problems if not protected.

David Sanderson
Sanderson Piano Services
Sanderson Accu-Strings