Tuning old Chickerings

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Wed, 12 Jun 1996 00:37:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 11 Jun 1996 jpiesik@arinc.com wrote:

>     Les,
>
>     Why CONTINUE to use, or encourage the use of, "questionable" substances
>     when there are now, readily available, better and safer modern
>     lubricants specifically proven for pianos?  Have you TRIED any
>     of the Pro-Tek, McLube, non-graphite, non-silicon, teflon, etc. lubes?
>
>     Regards,
>
>     John Piesik
>     San Diego Chapter PTG
>     JPIESIK@ARINC.COM

Hi, John. Actually, I've been using Protek for action work ever since it
first became available to the trade. I wouldn't be without it and heartily
recommend to all. Ditto with McLube and some of the other modern lubes as
well. I been at this work for a lot of years and I'm no longer young, so
maybe I just don't take change too well. As regards to this one area: badly
rusted strings and bearing points, with the strings needing to be raised a
significant amount, I HAVE tried other, more modern lubes. Quite frankly I
thought I got better results with what I had been using. However that's only
MY opinion and certainly each is entitled to their own. I use what I feel
works best for me, but I certainly don't mean to put down more modern lubes,
or the techs that use them. And, as I said, I can't imagine life without
Protek.

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net