Slippery keys, center rail studs, etc.

PianoBook@aol.com PianoBook@aol.com
Sun, 09 Jun 1996 13:21:57 -0400

>And to repeat (contrary to the principles just
>stated!) I think that it is unnecessary to repeat the question in the
answer.
>In some cases the same paragraph has been transmitted 4 or 5 times.  Perhaps
>overly long postings like this one should also be banned???

Personally, I like having the original post repeated.  Reading so many posts
from this list and others I subscribe to, I often forget just what the
original post said.  However, if the original post if very long, it is
appropriate to just repeat those portions to which the response is directed,
or which give the gist of the post.

>Next a question: what is the propriety of "advertising" things to the list?
>have an instrument that is potentially for sale; is it a proper use of the
list
>to post the details?  Are you not afraid that like most other media the
valuable
>content will be overwhelmed by advertising?  Should rare and unusual items
(in
>my case, a concert grand) and trade tools etc. be allowed, and others not?

As far as advertising is concerned, it seems to be permitted on this list if
piano-related and has a reasonable chance of being of interest to
subscribers.  The list is invaluable for networking of this sort.  A couple
of weeks ago, I asked if anyone knew of a Steinway D for sale.  I got a half
dozen valuable leads.  I also asked for names of key recoverers and got what
I needed.  Others have located shop machinery, rare action parts, etc.  If it
is appropriate to *ask* for items needed, it also seems appropriate to
*advertise* items for sale since there may be folks out there who need them.
 Obviously, this forum would not be appropriate for advertising one's
products or services on a continuous basis as in a magazine, but rather for
one-time advertising of specific items or services.  We do not seem, so far,
to have been inundated with objectionable advertising.

Larry Fine