Slippery keys, center rail studs, etc.

Keith A McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Sun, 09 Jun 1996 12:05:07 -0500 (CDT)

>I have heard that this ought never to be done, because it can warp the acti=
on
>frame.  I question whether this is true; after all, when fitting the action=
>the keybed, these studs have to be adjusted anyway, and a half or fuall tun=
>would not be unusual; and you want a fair bit of pressure on the key bed
>just to
>prevent knocking.  I would beinterested in reading some comments on this.

My understanding has been that the balance rail studs are brought into
contact with the keybed to prevent knocking, not with "a fair bit of
pressure on the keybed."

=46rom Steinway & Sons Technical Service Manual, page 12:
"The balance rail studs are positioned correctly when they just make
contact to the hardwood dowel inserts of the keybed.  These screws should
never be used to regulate the amount of touch depth in the keyboard as this
would alter the regulation."

Keith A. McGavern, RPT
kam544@ionet.net
Oklahoma Baptist University