Action parts & hammers for Steinway B

Charles Ball ckball@mail.utexas.edu
Sat, 08 Jun 1996 09:13:04 -0500

At 06:58 AM 6/8/96 -0600, you wrote:
>I'd like to get feedback on those of you who have used
>other than genuine Steinway parts. Mainly Renner action parts
>and hammers, and Abel hammers. Comments from technicians who
>would use nothing other than Steinway parts are appreciated as well.
>Thanks!

Dear Inquirer & List,

I have been using Renner parts for 15 years.  Also, I have used Abel hammers
from time to time.  Tonally the results have generally been good.
Specifically, I have probably rehammered 30 or more model B's with a variety
of parts, both in the School of Music and in my private practice.

I stopped using the Steinway factory parts a few years ago because of uneven
quality and the higher cost.  I do prep new Steinways, and find that the
current production parts work quite well.

The parts available from Renner USA are of superior quality, and the prices
are very competetive, although I am more than willing to pay a few dollars
more for a particular part when rebuilding the action of a Steinway B. The
hammers produce a consistent warm, round tone with a *minimum* of voicing,
including softening or hardening.  In fact, of all the models of Steinway
that I have rebuilt, I have found that the Renner hammers are most
compatable with the model B.

If you want a more focused, pointed sound, with a lighter touch, I recommend
the Abels.  I have used several sets with good results.  They work very well
for the pianist who prefers the European or Asian type of sound.

If you use the Renner parts I recommend that you acquire a Renner Parts Kit
so that you can choose the shank and flange and repetition combination that
will work best with the set up of your action.  Renner has advertised that
this kit is free upon the purchase of one complete set of grand action
parts.  Although I, and some of my local colleagues, have purchased several
complete sets, we have not received the promised kit.  Nor have our
inquiries to Renner USA on this matter been answered.

Nonetheless, if you have the kit, there are two shanks you will want to try.
The difference is the "knuckle set", i.e. how far the knuckle is placed from
the center pin.  One is at 15.5 mm and the other is at 16.2 mm.  The Hamburg
style is at 17 mm.  The further the knuckle is set from the center, the
lighter the touch and the deeper the dip will have to be to maintain the
same aftertouch.

Most of the Steinway B actions I have rehammered with these parts have come
out with a touch weight over 60 grams, so be prepared to address this
situation.

Ultimately, my experience has been that you can achieve superior results
with any of these parts options; but, your voicing skills will be less taxed
by the Renner hammers, depending upon the results you are seeking.  For my
taste, the choice of the three types of hammers is somewhat like the story
of Goldilocks and the three bears.  Initially the Steinway hammers are too
soft, the Abel hammers are too hard, and the Renners are just right.

Regards,

Charles

Charles Ball
School of Music