SATs

Keith A McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Tue, 30 Jul 1996 23:32:09 -0500 (CDT)

>However, as a C&A technician for S&S I find it is not an acceptable
>device to use for concert work for two very good reasons. One, the
>majority of Steinway artists feel very uncomfortable meeting the
>technician who is using a electronic aid and secondly the best
>machines have not proven they can measure the most important aspect
>of fine tuning, perception.
>
>Brent Fischer, Arizona State University

All fine and well, Brent.  Try this: One, the best minds cannot memorize
their best perceived tuning for the majority of Steinway artists.  The SAT
can record the best any aural tuner can give, and more than one.  And
secondly, not using all the professional resources available to give your
Steinway artists the very best would seem to important thing to consider.
I find any worry an artist might perceive can only be construed from the
lack of confidence provided by the technician in waiting.

The SAT will not do sub-standard work due to a stuffed-up head, lack of
sleep, poor circulation, an off-day at home and/or at work, etc.  It will
not fall below it duty and station just because it wishes it were somewhere
else.  It will do whatever you tell it to and when you tell it to.  Keeping
the battery charged is all it asks.  Such a small thing compared to what it
gives in return.

I never have had the problems some folks seem to have implementing
electronic devices in my professional career and personal life.  Just who I
am I guess.

Keith A. McGavern, RPT
kam544@ionet.net
Oklahoma Chapter 731
Oklahoma Baptist University
Shawnee, Oklahoma, USA
=A9 1996 by Keith A. McGavern
(No part of this post may be reproduced for use outside
pianotech@byu.edu without permission from the author)