Parafin Blues

Paul Kupelian kupelian@Oswego.Oswego.EDU
Tue, 30 Jul 1996 14:57:05 -0400 (EDT)

Ron,

I just recently worked on a similar situation.  A Steinway S where the
hammers went up and didn't return to the rest position.

I can't speak for the longevity of the repair but I do know at present
the hammers are working just great.  The repair involved Protek and heat.
I took my pinning tool, and just pushed the pin out far enough to
get it away from the cloth. I then used the tip from a low wattage (15)
soldering iron to apply heat to the end of the pin.  This seems to melt
the parafin and burn it away without damaging the bushing cloth.

After resetting the pin, I applied the Protek and worked the flange back and
forth several times.

Using the swing test, I tested each hammer to make sure it wasn't too
tight or loose.  Then just as a matter of course, I applied Protek to all
the other flanges with great results.

Good luck,
Paul
Paul Kupelian, RPT