Use of SAt on spinet

Avery Todd ATodd@UH.EDU
Tue, 30 Jul 1996 10:36:31 -0500

>>OK, so I'm stupid....
>>What's a 'wild' spinet????  or are you talking about those tiny, tinny
>>contraptions that want to be pianos when they grow up??
>

>Don't know about the other guys, but to me this means a piano that it is
>physically (as in physics) impossible to tune correctly from bottom to top
>(or inside out).  Like ... you get your choice: single octaves are tolerable
>but double and triple octaves are horrible, or the other way around ... but
>not BOTH.  And in the low bass, NOTHING is tolerable.
>
>Barb Barasa
>Sycamore IL

Barb,
   Just as a side comment, I used to have to tune a Grand spinet (yes, it
was a brand name!?) and I was always very frustrated when I left because I
was never satisfied with the tuning. I had recently purchased a new
Sight-O-Tuner (the predecessor to the SAT's) and decided to try it. I went
strictly by the book on that tuning and it was the best that PSO had ever
sounded. Unlike me, the machine wasn't fooled by all the wild strings,
harmonics, etc. that pianos like that have.

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music
University of Houston
Houston, TX 77204-4893