Unisons first when in a hurry ( was: Accu-True or False)

Avery Todd ATodd@UH.EDU
Tue, 30 Jul 1996 10:29:00 -0500

>Dear Avery at al
>I agree with your premise of the generally effective practice of prioritizing
>the unisons when pressed for time, but one minor ( mercinary, I'll admit )
>>thing makes me curious.... Do you change your pricing structure for these
>>special occasions, or does their often emergency nature, compensate
>somehow >when doing the 'speedy' version?

Jim,
   My feelings about your question is that it wasn't my fault they forgot
to call in time for me to do a normal tuning. I make sure they understand
that I will do the best I can in the time I have, but I make no claims
about it being the best tuning of which I'm capable. And yes, I do charge
them the full price. The only exception "might" be if they are an extremely
good customer and I feel as though I might owe them a favor. But usually,
in emergency situations, about the only thing on their mind is getting the
tuning done in time for the concert.

>Gee, I'm long winded :(    Anyway, you get the idea, and at risk of incurring
>the wrath of the anti-trust legislators, what do people pay for a regular,
>straightforward tuning in your ( feel free to jump in here, readers ) area ???

   As far as I know, the tuning rates here vary from around $50.00 to
$80.00 or so. As you can see, there's no price fixing here. I personally
recently went to  $70.00 from the $65.00 I had been charging for over 3
years. That was the rate my predecessor was charging and I just kept it
there. I don't have time to do much work away from the university, and with
the distances involved in such a large city, I just decided I might as well
try to make a little when I do go out. Also, since I don't even advertise,
most of my tuning calls come from referrels or recommendations from faculty
and students. A few calls have come to me because someone just called the
music dept. office to ask about a tuner. So it would be extremely rare for
me to get a "price shopping" type of call here.
   In the city I moved from, San Angelo, TX, I was one of the 2 highest
priced tuners in town and I was only charging $45.00!!

>Thanks, and best regards; I really appreciate the opportunity to learn from so
>many of you out there in radio land, since I am the only tuner for 30 miles in
>any direction, and it gets lonely up here, NOT that I'm complaining, mind you;
>there are distinct advantages to being the only game in town..............
>                         Jim Kinnear, I.P.T.
>                       KINNEAR PIANO SERVICES
>                      Collingwood, Ont, Canada
>                    EMAIL: jkinnear@georgian.net