Glue Revisited

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Mon, 29 Jul 1996 16:23:04 -0400

Danny Dover writes;

>As we constantly discuss all our choices for adhesives I want to throw in a
>reminder.  So many applications are for materials which will have to be
removed
>and reglued in the future.  YOU may be the one removing the glue and
cleaning
>up.  Which glue would YOU like to be trying to remove in the future?

>I use hide glue whenever possible, sometimes just for this reason.  Be kind
>yourself and future technicians.

 YES!!  I agree  with Danny 1000%.
        I can see the utility of modern adhesives in many places on a piano,
 but for the stuff that will eventually be replaced , hot hide glue has a
proven record,  and is easily undone when the need arises.
        Back rail felt,   rebushing keys,  felting the damperheads,
 attaching hammers, and almost every other thing that falls under the
description of "non-durable" should be glued with hot hide glue, (IMHO)

Regards,
Ed Foote