UK reply true false.

Avery Todd ATodd@UH.EDU
Mon, 29 Jul 1996 09:24:19 -0500

>May I indulge the list a little further.  The acu-tuner capability of
>storing an oral tuning does sound quite interesting.  Quite a few on the
>list claim that they can store what they consider a good tuning and
>proceed to improve on the stored tuning until they have what they
>consider the perfect tuning.  This sounds quite useful if one is tuning
>the same piano frequently as in a recording studio.  However, if I take
>a tuning from a large well scaled piano tweak it to what I think is
>perfection and proceed down the road to my next customer who has a
>Challen double overstrung 4' 6" Grand.   Proceed to use the stored
>tuning to tune the Challenn. Surely, I would find the octaives in the
>treble would run flat when I check it orally and the octaves in the base
>would run sharp as there is a difference in the scaling of the two
>pianos.
>
>Kind Regards,
>
>Barrie.

Barrie,
   Even though I tune strictly aurally (although I did use one of the early
Sight-O-Tuners for certain things), the reason for the stored tuning is not
as you mention above. It's to be able to duplicate that tuning on "that"
one piano when you go back to it, not to transfer it to other pianos,
especially of different sizes and makes.
   This, IMHO, is one reason why one should also learn to tune well
aurally, even if you end up using a SAT almost exclusively. That way you
have a foundation to work from to try to improve the tuning on that
instrument each time you do it.  In my particular situation, I would love
to have a SAT (and will, eventually) because I basically tune the same
pianos over and over; especially the concert instruments.

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music
University of Houston
Houston, TX 77204-4893