UK reply true false.

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk
Sun, 28 Jul 1996 19:11:39 +0100

First thank you very much for the 25 of you who replied to my question
privately.  There was some very interesting statements regarding
electronic tuning aids in general.

May I indulge the list a little further.  The acu-tuner capability of
storing an oral tuning does sound quite interesting.  Quite a few on the
list claim that they can store what they consider a good tuning and
proceed to improve on the stored tuning until they have what they
consider the perfect tuning.  This sounds quite useful if one is tuning
the same piano frequently as in a recording studio.  However, if I take
a tuning from a large well scaled piano tweak it to what I think is
perfection and proceed down the road to my next customer who has a
Challen double overstrung 4' 6" Grand.   Proceed to use the stored
tuning to tune the Challenn. Surely, I would find the octaives in the
treble would run flat when I check it orally and the octaves in the base
would run sharp as there is a difference in the scaling of the two
pianos.

Or is there something in the Accu-tuner which compensates for the
different sizes of string length and if so how does it accomplish this.

The duling pianos. at high noon.

I would be very interested to know the outcome of this experiment I
believe though the result would be marginal.  Have you considered tuning
pianos instead of 2 one large Grand, one large upright and one very
small upright each.,  This would give a more accurate overall test as
from reading the posts and the private emails electronic tuning aids on
well scaled pianos are pretty faultless, but on badly scaled pianos they
would seem to fall down especially on base unisons (this is not a
personal observation).

Once again thank you very much for those who replied to me and I will
try to reply back soon.

Kind Regards,

Barrie.

--
Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally Friendly
The UK PIano Page                              |