Accuracy and consistency was Re: Accu-True or False

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sat, 27 Jul 1996 15:12:22 -0400

Jim made a good point, about the difference betwen accuracy and consistency.
One can be consistently accurante, or consistently inaccurate. Depends on how
good you are. The Accutuner gives you consistency. It might not be accurate,
according to some ears, but it will be consistent. Just like an umpire. Ball
players don't care too much if the ump calls a ball on the corner a strike,
as long as he calls all of them the same way. Then he is consistently
accurate. However, if he calls a ball 2 inches off the plate a strike all the
time, then he becomes consistantly inaccurate, and he is going to hear it
from both sides.

When I come to a piano that is just barely out, I try to improve on the
tuning that is there. I am becomming more accurate with my tuning. Can I do
it consistently, without the use of a machine?  Probably not, but I can
consistently make improvements on whatever tuning I run accross.

That is why we use the Accutuner for our exams, because of consistency. We
master tune the piano by ear for accuracy.

Willem Blees  RPT
St. Louis