UK REPIN & LU

scott.e.johnson@24stex.com scott.e.johnson@24stex.com
Fri, 26 Jul 1996 20:47:33 -0800

 Pi> Subject: Re: UK repin & lube
 Naptha
 I need a little bit more information of what it is.

The chemical the Wurlitzer Piano Co. recommends mixing the silicon they supply
with is called VMP Naptha. The VMP stands for Varnish and Paint Makers. I am
told that it is a highly refined paint thinner which has had all the petroleum
distilates refined out. It is available from full service paint supply stores.
It was used by the dry cleaning industry to clean wool and other fabrics for
many years until it was discovered that the naptha had killed off a generation
of dry cleaner personal by causing them to develop cancer of the liver. The
small amounts we come into contact with don't concern me too much from a
health and safety standpoint however I do try to avoid skin contact and
prolonged breathing of the fumes. It is also very flammable.

Protex is sold in three sizes. Small, medium and large. I buy the medium,
about a 36oz. and fill smaller bottles from the larger container. I use 1 or
2 of these quart containers per year and have not noticed any decrease in
effectiveness over this shelf life.

Your colleague,

Scott Johnson
Auburn, California