UK repin & lube

David ilvedson ilvey@a.crl.com
Fri, 26 Jul 1996 15:40:03 +0000

> Date:          Fri, 26 Jul 1996 19:34:19 +0100
> From:          Barrie Heaton <Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk>
> Subject:       Re: UK repin & lube
> To:            pianotech@byu.edu

> Naptha could you explain to an ignorant Brit what it is as I called in
> my Local chemist and he said its the stuff they make moth balls out of
> isn't it.  So I need a little bit more information of what it is.

VM & P Naptha (Varnish Makers and Painters Naptha) is high
quality substitute for paint thinner.  It evaporates quickly and
in the piano biz it is used as the carrier of the silicone.  I
personally rarely/never use silicone.  The wood is going to
absorb silicone and good luck regluing bushing cloth to centers
and key bushings.  The other CLP is called "Protek".  I use that
99.9% or I repin.  I have two actions in the shop I am repinning
next week that Protek wouldn't free up.  I use to use
alcohol(once again as the carrier) and water in the past but I
found the results were inconsistent.  I as a technician can
definitely make more money repinning an action rather than
squirting on Protek, but repinning is not my favorite work.
Protek is expensive...$45.00 a quart?  I am now charging for the
lubricant and the labor...15 minutes?  Protek has a long
shelf-life but as I go through it quickly I haven't had to think
about it.  Protek is a "high-tech polymer", what ever that
means.  I wouldn't be surprised if Naptha is the carrier in the
Protek...Does anyone know what is in Protek yet?

David ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA