True or False

David ilvedson ilvey@a.crl.com
Fri, 26 Jul 1996 14:53:06 +0000

> Date:          Fri, 26 Jul 1996 18:08:45 +0100
> From:          Barrie Heaton <Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk>
> Subject:       True  or False
> To:            pianotech@byu.edu

> There has been a growing debate in some of the trade magazines in the
> UK. Regarding the accuracy of electronic tuners.  Could the list
> possibly clear up some of the points raised in these discussions as a
> lot of wild claims have been made for and against, I personally know
> nothing about the product,  in fact I go as far as to say I wouldn't
> recongnise one if I fell over it.
>
> 1. The acaccu-tuner only achieves an accuracy of 95 per cent in
> laboratory conditions.  is this true?
>
> 2. The PTG uses the accu-tuner to test all of its perspective members
> wishing to join.
>
> 3. If question 1 is correct is there any  independent data  available,
> also is there any data available for tuning accuracy in a none
> laboratory
> condition.
>
> Before you point me to Mr. Sandersons home page, I would rather get the
> information from end users and from none biased tuners (those who do
> not have a commercial interest in promoting this product.)
>
> Regards,
>
> Barrie.
> --
> Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally Friendly
> The UK PIano Page                              |
> pgp  key on request                            |  HAVE YOUR PIANO TUNED

Barrie,

You will undoubtedly get a better answer from those involved in
tuning testing, but I have some info...

#1...95% accuracy compared to what?  An aural tuning?  Is the
aural tuning accurate?  The "Accutuner" claims to be accurate
to .04 cent for each note.

#2...PTG tuning testing begins with, I believe, at least one CTE
(Certified Tuning Examiner...who has passed the test at %90 or
better) and a couple of RPT members.  They as a group "Master
Tune" the testing piano aurally.  They may check against an
Accutuner when questions arise but aural verification is the
final judge.  THEN, each note of the tuning is stored on an
Accutuner.  When the technician being tested has finished
tuning, his tuning is compared to the Accutuner's recording of
the "Master Tuning".

If you have questions about the actual test procedure, I'm sure
you will get plenty of posts.

David ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA